Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year, New Approach

I was recently asked to take a new approach to my art production by participating in Art Lab. Art Lab is a "month-long creativity incubator" hosted by VOCA in downtown Vancouver, WA. Eight local female artists will work together in a shared space. The space will be open to the public on January 12th, 16th and 23rd. On these days, visitors can observe and meet a majority of artists. Since artists will be working there all month, other days may have open doors but a more limited number of artists.
I'm really excited to work next to these seven talented women! I'll be using Lumi Inkodye on a 60" x 30" surface. The product was introduced to me by Karen Madson and I've been experimenting with it for about 3 weeks. I'm discovering that I need to take a very methodical approach to accomplish my goals with this piece and to do it in within the time frame. So far, I have a good understanding of my ink to water ratio and exposure time. I'm nearly decided on what lights to use for exposure, but think I may do a few further tests  before I come to that decision. The lights alone could be up to a $200 investment, so I want to make sure I'm happy with my decision.

I've outlined a task list for the next 4 weeks, with plans on doing some of the more prominent tasks on the visitor days. It's sort of like a play - where every task is necessary, but only the main characters really get the spotlight.

If you're interested in checking out Art Lab, please come by 906 Harney Street in downtown Vancouver WA on any of the dates listed above. If those dates/times don't work out for you, but you happen to be downtown - just drive by and see if the doors are open. We'll be happy to visit with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment